Repost: 2019 Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Jakarta, Indonesia, May 20, 2019
Location: Indonesia, country-wide
Event: On May 22, 2019, the General Election Commission (KPU) is expected to announce the official results of the Indonesian presidential and parliamentary elections. Indonesian police officials have publicly cited a heightened risk of terrorism in connection with the finalization of election results, and media has reported recent arrests of Indonesians on terrorism charges. Demonstrations are possible at election-related offices and other public sites in central Jakarta, including the KPU compound in Menteng, and the Election Supervisory Board (known as BAWASLU) on Jl. Thamrin. Demonstrations may also take place at election-related offices in other cities, including Surabaya and Medan. Indonesian Police have stated that additional security personnel will secure election-related sites and other locations in greater Jakarta. Expect road closures and significant traffic disruptions in areas where demonstrations occur.
Actions to Take:
• Avoid areas where demonstrations or political rallies are occurring and exercise caution if within the vicinity of any large gathering.
• Stay current with media coverage of local events, be aware of your surroundings, and practice personal security awareness at all times.
• Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
• Follow the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya on Twitterand Facebook and the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta on Twitter and Facebook
• U.S. State Department–Consular Affairs -888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
• Indonesia Country Specific Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive updates. Follow U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook
By U.S. Embassy Jakarta | 22 May, 2019 | Topics: Alert, Security & Emergency Messages